eTrust Virus Scanner

Hancock, Scott HancockS at MORGANCO.COM
Fri Sep 12 14:46:05 IST 2003

We've been on Etrust for years now here are my gotcha's from the last
version V6.

1.  Windows:  An early release of V6 install script wiped out all files
in the Programs Files directory.  This occurred depending on the
my coworker.  He managed to wipe out 55 laptops in 3 countries with that
one.  They fixed the problem by sending new CD's.  I guess he wasn't
curious about the new CD's and thought the old ones worked just fine.
He is no longer with us for this and other reasons.

2.  Windows:  The discovery feature is failing over IPSEC connections to
our remote offices.  Looks like that problem is in my lap now.  It looks
like manual intervention of an admin account is required.

3.  Linux:  Their command line scanner needs to run as root.  So my exim
MTA will not work.

4.  Exchange:  V6 exchange option would render offline folder
synchronization useless because it would mark all email for scanning
every time the signatures were updated.  I haven't had time to test V7
yet.  Mailscanner has been more effective at stopping virus attacks than
the etrust exchange option.  We went from 1 incident a month to 0
incidents in 14 months.

5.  Windows:  When installing programs, be prepared to turn the
real-time monitor off.  I guess this is understandable.

So the bottom line is we'll be looking closely at alternatives at end of
contract.

FWIW

Scott