Feature request

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Wed Sep 10 22:43:35 IST 2003

As most sysadmins I want my systems to run with little or no manual
work. However, systems like BIND and MailScanner must be maintained to
be correct/efficient. Second best thing is letting someone else do the
manual work. :-) But there's a lack of official tools to do the job.

I would like a script for adding and removing to the whitelist for
example, complete with syntax check and reloading of MailScanner. Then I
could trust someone else to do it for me.

The same goes for the quarantined files, releasing them without
intervention would also be desired.

It would also be cool to, via an option, be able to simulate a
MailScanner start with a syntax check of all configuration files, rules,
etc. That way you could test if a new config/version upgrade is sane
while it's running with the old working config.

I know some of you have implemented similar things yourselves but they
are probably pretty tied to your environment and needs updating when
MailScanner is upgraded. These tools within the MailScanner package
would benefit us all and it would be easier to implement web based
administration on top of them.

I love editing text files with vi but most others don't. :-( What do you
others think? Does anyone have good generic scripts (not bodyparts :-)
for the most common tasks you could donate to Julian?

/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, MailScanner 4.23-11, SpamAssassin 2.55, ClamAV
20030829