F-prot revisited

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Wed Sep 10 15:56:14 IST 2003

Richard,

>Here is my issue with what you said though. I looked at the workstation
>license and to say its vague is an understatement, nowhere in the page I saw
>( http://www.f-prot.com/support/helpfiles/unix/linux_ws/license.html ) did
>it state you cannot use the product in conjunction with MailScanner or in
>any type of automated system or even on a system running a mail
>server/daemon/thingamabob.

This argument has been chewed on here a number of times, and the MS list really isn't the place to keep debating it.

Let me summarize, and we can then leave it at that, I'm not on a soap box here.

You are correct, the license does not spell out the requirements or differences between workstation and server versions.
That failure on F-Prot's part may be a defense in court, or it may not.

However, the F-Prot site does state the following three points quite plainly:
     (http://www.f-prot.com/support/unix_faq/22.html)

1) F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD Workstations:

A Workstation license is intended for usage on a single-user workstation,
protecting the user and systems on that same workstation. If the computer
provides networked services, e.g., is a file sharing server e.g., Samba),
web server or mail server, then a File Server or a Mail Server license would
be required. The Workstation version is licensed per workstation.

2) F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD File Servers:

A File Server license is suitable for file sharing (e.g., Samba), application,
print, web and FTP servers, i.e., computers that provide network services
other than mail services, protecting the users of those services. If the computer
provides mail services, e.g., is an in-coming or out-going mail server then a
Mail Server license would be required. The File Server version is licensed per server.

3) F-Prot Antivirus for Linux/BSD Mail Servers:

A Mail Server license is suitable for mail servers, for either in-coming or out-going
mail, protecting the users against e-mail viruses and worms. The Mail Server version
is licensed on a per user basis.

So, in summary, the company that owns the software has told us that
  a) The workstation version IS NOT to be used on a mail server
  b) The file server version IS NOT to be used if the server provides mail services
  c) The mail server MUST be used on any server providing mail services, even if the inboxes are not local

Letter of the law, or spirit of the law? Do you appreciate the software and signatures F-Prot
provides you enough to not try and take advantage of a loophole? Are you willing to run the risk of court
time and expenses defending your position of 'but the license didn't say so'?

If so, then so be it. I however do not wish to risk my job and company, nor lower my business ethics
to that level.

If I don't agree with the price F-Prot is asking for their software (and I don't), then that's my choice.
I will use another product (eTrust) which is very affordable and works great. If enough people
move away from F-Prot, perhaps they will adjust their pricing plans.

But, I will not go against F-Prots written statement of which version they require me to use.

-Alan