Real Expectations..

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Sep 7 08:40:25 IST 2003

I don't know how it compares to a Sparc, but I'm running an AMD K6-2/500 with
384 MB of RAM, RedHat 8.0, Sendmail per RH RPM, MailScanner 4.23-11, f-prot,
SpamAssassin 2.6. Every morning I send out the Quotes of the Day through this
machine, which uses a Perl script to merge the address lists with the e-mails
and dumps it off to Sendmail. The load average goes to 10 or thereabouts
during the mail run, but it gets through 6,200 messages in less than two
hours while handling any incoming mail.

I suspect that I'm throttled by my 768K DSL, but the machine couldn't handle
a lot more based on the LA.

Van

Errol Neal wrote:

> Hi again..
>
> My boss is giving me headaches about the performance of our MailScanners.
> What kind of performance should one expect on Sun Solaris 500 mhz sparc
> with 512 ram and ide disks running 4.22-4?
> I think right now we are pumping out somewhere in the neighborhood of
> 300-500 messages per hour. I think that is reasonable for the hardware we
> have and these system are dedicated Scanners.
> Can someone throw some hardware templates at me based upon their
> experiences and give me some numbers?
>
> Errol
>
> Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
> eneal at enhtech.com
> Enhanced Technologies Inc.
> http://www.enhtech.com
> 703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249
> 703-924-0302 Fax

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,