Sobig.F@mm.enc

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Sep 7 16:28:58 IST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 16:16, Antony Stone wrote:

> Enc is where
> it's encoded into the mime header.

>Please can somebody explain to me what this means?   Are you saying
>that a
>virus can be encoded in a MIME header, rather than (as is usual) in a
MIME
>body to which the header refers?

No, I think the .enc actually means its base-64 encoded as it would
appear within a mime body.  Clearly a signature which matched the virus
when decoded would not match the virus when it is encoded as part of a
message.  As we've seen in this thread there are some MTA's which bounce
an encoded message but indicate (incorrectly) that it is plain text,
this means mailscanner treats it as a text file and it will only be
spotted by those virus scanners which either a) have special signatures
for the encoded version or b) spot this it is encoded and decode it
before scanning.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000