Real Expectations..

Sun Sep 7 09:24:07 IST 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 8:40 am, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

> I don't know how it compares to a Sparc, but I'm running an AMD K6-2/500
> with 384 MB of RAM, RedHat 8.0, Sendmail per RH RPM, MailScanner 4.23-11,
> f-prot, SpamAssassin 2.6. Every morning I send out the Quotes of the Day
> through this machine, which uses a Perl script to merge the address lists
> with the e-mails and dumps it off to Sendmail. The load average goes to 10
> or thereabouts during the mail run, but it gets through 6,200 messages in
> less than two hours while handling any incoming mail.

These Quote of the Day emails are going to be quite short (I hope!) in
comparison to the "average" email coming in or going out through a normal
system, they won't have any attachments which need unpacking or virus
scanning, and the spam check is going to be pretty trivial too.

It would be interesting to know, as well as the fact you can process 6,200 of
these messages in something under 2 hours at a load average of 10, how many
normal messages your system processes during the following 6 hours of the
business day, and what its load average is during that time.

Regards,

Antony.

--

It wasn't a sight to be seen on an empty stomach, although it could probably
cause one.

 - Terry Pratchett, Soul Music