Sobig.F@mm.enc

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Sun Sep 7 01:17:52 IST 2003

I saw the thread and I think I see what folks were saying.  I think we
all thought people were saying they it was the pif guy coming thru bit
it's the mm.enc one.

I'm running 4.23.11 on Solaris with both Sophos and ClamAV running and I
block  exe, pif, com, bat, scr, etc.  I don't have the actual message
since NortonAV for Exchange is catching it and stripping it out.  That's
why I started looking into it because I thought it odd that Norton was
blabbering about it since all external mail goes thru MailScanner before
getting to Exchange.  Sure enough it was external messages that Nav for
Exchange was picking up.  Our Exchange boxes are configured to only
accept mail from the mail gateway. So I did some further checking and
it's the .enc which is where it's encoded in the mime header.  I thought
that MS had been written in the early 4.xx version to blcok anything
encoded in the headers so I'm thing that maybe it's gbeen broken due to
all the new content checking options that's been added.

Now I don't know if it's the virus or the AV software that someone is
using but the message is from a postmaster at xxx.xxx.xx and is a rejection
message saying that the message you sent was infected.  So it's either a
virus generated message or a real bounce message where the original
message was sent back with the virus.  It don't know if there are AV
products out there that send the whole oringal message back if reject
which sounds kind of dumb.

-=B