ANNOUNCE: MailWatch for MailScanner 0.3 Beta

Chris Campbell Chris.Campbell at FAC.COM
Fri Sep 5 16:41:52 IST 2003

Thanks for the reply Steve...
However, I have 4 external (dmz) mailscanner boxes, with the maiwatch mysql
db sever internally.  I have all 4 inserting to this one mailwatch mysql
box....
This is why I want the functionality without parsing the maillog....

I have written my own perl to do basically what you said below, and it
seems to work for me.  My goal is to let our help desk be able to get this
information without my help though.

I am sure the below will be helpful and useful for others, but in the
meantime if I have some free time maybe I can come up with some php magic
myself....
Christopher S. Campbell
UNIX Admin

                    Steve Freegard
                    <steve.freegard at lbs       To:     "'Chris Campbell'" <Chris.Campbell at FAC.COM>
                    ltd.co.uk>                cc:     "'MailScanner mailing list'" <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
                                              Subject:     RE: ANNOUNCE:  MailWatch for MailScanner 0.3 Beta
                    09/05/03 10:57 AM

Hi Chris,

>>> What are the odds we can grab and insert into the sql db the
sendmail....

I'm reluctant to put this into MailWatch as it requires some intellegent
parsing of the maillog on the message id which could and usually does
appear
more than once (particualarly when the message is deferred) and maillog
should also only be readable by root which poses another problem.

That said - I've written something for you which should give you the
beginnings of what you're after - it is pretty crude however.  I'm also
presuming that you're using 0.2.

Copy the attached files to /var/www/html/mailscanner.

Run 'mysql mailscanner < create_relay_table.sql' to create the table.

Make sure that sendmail_relay.php is executable and make an entry into
root's crontab to run it every 'n' minutes - this script parses the maillog
and for every entry that has the line 'Sendmail','relay=' and 'stat=' is
makes an entry into the sendmail_relay table - if one already exists for
the
message id being inserted it is overwritten.

You will then be able to see the relay information at the bottom of the
Message Detail page.

Kind regards,
Steve