OT: Osirusoft and no mail passed.. explanations..

David dh at UPTIME.AT
Thu Sep 4 20:34:35 IST 2003

It's interesting how free resources can become almost critical resources
to various businesses. This week, we saw Osirusoft pull the plug on its
DNSBL spam blacklist service. What's interesting is that Osirusoft ended
by adding an open wildcard to the blacklist service, essentially causing
*every* system to appear to be in the blacklist and thus be prevented
from sending e-mail. Admins who used the Osirusoft DNSBL found their
machines refusing to pass e-mail, even to itself in some situations!
The moral to this story: Review your external dependencies and prepare
contingency plans should one of those dependant relationships
immediately be severed.
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ntbugtraq/2003-q3/0202.html

Until next week,

from teh sans newsletter

-d

- "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering,
fearing,
-  Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream
before.." Edgar Allen Poe - The Raven