virus update scripts.

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Thu Sep 4 13:33:03 IST 2003

Bob Jones <bob.jones at USG.EDU> wrote:
>Hey all, a couple things here.  First is with the mcafee-autoupdate
>script in the latest release.  What is this extra.dat file it tries to
>download and complains about when it's not there?

Sorry that was a cockup on my part -- some experimental code for getting
emergency dat files between a virus outbreak and a full dat file update
escaped. My current version of the script is below.

Tony.
BISCAY: EASTERLY BECOMING CYCLONIC THEN WESTERLY 3 OR 4. THUNDERY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# Update the McAfee data files.
#
# $Cambridge: hermes/build/bin/uvscan-update,v 1.38 2003/09/04 12:27:27 fanf2 Exp $

# $PREFIX is the directory where the uvscan binary is (NOT a symlink to
# the binary), which is where it looks for its dat files. You may run
# uvscan via a symlink to this place (e.g. from /usr/local/bin/uvscan)
# and it will still look for the dat files here. If uvscan's library
# dependencies can be found in a standard place (e.g. /usr/local/lib)
# then you don't need a wrapper script to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
# running it.
#
# The dat files are installed in a subdirectory of $DATDIR named
# according to their version number, with symlinks from $PREFIX into
# the subdirectory via a current link. The current link is updated
# without locking on the assumption that this is sufficiently unlikely
# to cause a problem.

# defaults
OPTS=""
PREFIX=/opt/uvscan
FTPDIR=http://download.nai.com/products/datfiles/4.x/nai/

# handle the command line
usage () {
        echo "usage: $0 [-dfrtv] [prefix]"
        echo "  -d      delete old files"
        echo "  -f      force update"
        echo "  -r      show README"
        echo "  -t      timestamp output"
        echo "  -v      verbose"
        echo "  prefix  uvscan installation directory"
        exit 1
}
case $# in
0|1|2)  : ok
        ;;
*)      usage
        ;;
esac
for arg in "$@"
do
        case $arg in
        -*)     OPTS=$arg
                ;;
        /*)     PREFIX=$arg
                ;;
        *)      usage
                ;;
        esac
done
case $OPTS in
*[!-dfrtv]*)
        usage
esac
option () {
        case $OPTS in
        -*$1*)  eval $2=yes
                ;;
        *)      eval $2=no
                ;;
        esac
}
option d DELETE
option f FORCE
option r README
option t TIME
option v VERBOSE
case $FORCE in
yes)    VERBOSE=yes
esac

# set up paths
PATH=$PREFIX:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
export PATH
DATDIR=$PREFIX/datfiles
SUBDIR=datfiles/current
LINK=$PREFIX/$SUBDIR

# wrapper functions for echo etc.
timestamp () {
        case $TIME in
        yes)    date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
        esac
}
say () {
        case $VERBOSE in
        yes)    echo "`timestamp`$*"
        esac
}
run () {
        say "> $*"
        "$@"
}
say Starting $0
say DELETE=$DELETE
say FORCE=$FORCE
say README=$README
say TIME=$TIME
say VERBOSE=$VERBOSE
say PREFIX=$PREFIX

if [ ! -h $LINK ]
then
        INIT=yes
        VERBOSE=yes
        say Initial setup of $0
        run mkdir -p $DATDIR
fi
run cd $DATDIR

# version number pattern
MATCH="[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]"

# work out latest dat version
CMD="wget --passive-ftp $FTPDIR/update.ini 2>update.err"
say "> $CMD"
if eval "$CMD"
then
        VERSION=`cat update.ini | sed "/^DATVersion=\($MATCH\).$/!d;s//\1/;q"`
else
        cat update.err
        VERSION=UNKNOWN
fi
run rm -f update.*

badversion () {
        VERBOSE=yes
        say "Failed to get McAfee datfile update from $FTPDIR"
        say "FTP version number \"$VERSION\" $*"
        run exit 1
}

# check the format of the version number
case $VERSION in
$MATCH) : ok
        ;;
*)      badversion does not match "$MATCH"
        ;;
esac

# already got it?
if [ -d $VERSION ]
then
        case $FORCE in
        yes)    say Forced removal of $VERSION
                run rm -rf $VERSION
                ;;
        *)      say Already have $VERSION
                run exit 0
                ;;
        esac
fi

# work out installed dat version
PREVIOUS=`(ls -d $MATCH 2>/dev/null || echo 0000) | tail -1`

# check new version is actually newer
if [ $PREVIOUS -gt $VERSION ]
then
        badversion older than installed $PREVIOUS
fi

VERBOSE=yes

say Installed dat file is $PREVIOUS
say Latest dat file is $VERSION

# protect against failure
fail () {
        trap EXIT
        echo "$OUT"
        say Fetch or test failed -- removing bad McAfee data files
        run cd $DATDIR
        run rm -rf $VERSION
        run exit 1
}
trap fail EXIT

# fetch and extract dat files
TARFILE=dat-$VERSION.tar
run mkdir $VERSION
run cd $VERSION
run wget --passive-ftp --progress=dot:mega $FTPDIR/$TARFILE
run tar xvf $TARFILE

# verify the contents
CMD="uvscan --version --dat ."
say "> $CMD"
OUT=`$CMD 2>&1`
case "$OUT" in
*"Missing or invalid DAT"* | \
*"Data file not found"* | \
*"Removal datafile clean.dat not found"* | \
*"Unable to remove viruses"* )
        fail
esac

# protection not needed now
trap '' EXIT

echo "$OUT"
say Update OK

# show information on this update?
case $README in
yes)    run sed 's/[[:cntrl:]]//g
                1,/^====================/d
                /^====================/,/^NEW VIRUSES DETECTED/d
                /^UNDERSTANDING VIRUS NAMES/,$d
                s/^/# /;/@MM/s/$/ <--/' readme.txt
esac
# remove some crap
run rm -f *.diz *.exe *.ini *.lst *.tar *.txt

# do remaining part of initial setup
case $INIT in
yes)    for file in *.dat
        do