Mail Not Routing, stuck in /var/spool/mqueue.in

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 3 21:55:23 IST 2003

Just to refresh, Mail was in the incoming queue only  /var/spool/mqueue.in.  Mail was routing but at a very slow pace (not at it's normal rate).  I am running MS 4.21-9 and also using spamassassin 2.55-1.  I have been using this setup since January 3rd, of 2003 with no problems.  I have of course upgraded the packages along the way.  No changes have been made to the server in the recent past, it has been running with no problems.

Thankfully, I had a secondary SMTP server that I moved into the Primary spot.  I am using the same versions of MailScanner and spamassassin on that server.   Mail has been routing fine all day after changing the servers around.

I used Kurt Yoders suggestions below which helped in clearing up the queue on the other server.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and assistance!!!  If you need more info please let me know.

Kurt Yoder <kylist at shcorp.com> wrote:

lester lasad said:

> "Spicer, Kevin" wrote:
> Which queue?
>
> All are in the mqueue.in
>
> As I said, if you're happy to bypass MailScanner to get the mail
> delivered follow the instructions below.
>
> Tried running your commands and received the following:
>
>> service MailScanner stop
>
> Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>
> MailScanner: [ OK ]
>
> incoming sendmail: [ OK ]
>
> outgoing sendmail: [ OK ]
>
>> mv /var/spool/mqueue.in/* /var/spool/mqueue
>
> sh: line 1: /bin/mv: Argument list too long

Here's a trick to get around this:

stop mailscanner as above

(stop sendmail service)
/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

mv /var/spool/mqueue /var/spool/mqueue.old
mv /var/spool/mqueue.in /var/spool/mqueue
mv /var/spool/mqueue.old /var/spool/mqueue.in

(start sendmail service)
/etc/init.d/sendmail start

Now sendmail should grab *everything* in the folder you just renamed
to mqueue and deliver it.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator