Training the bayesian engine and sa-learn {Scanned by HJMS}

Chris Lyon cslyon at NETSVCS.COM
Wed Sep 3 21:45:46 IST 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:03:35 -0500, Furnish, Trever G <TGFurnish at HERFF-
JONES.COM> wrote:

>You're close - but sa-learn doesn't update whitelists or blacklists - it
>just trains the Bayesian filtering engine, which identifies patterns in
spam
>and uses them to recognize future spam.  SpamAssassin passes messages to
the
>Bayesian engine and gets a score for each message, just as it does for its
>other rules.  This score just becomes part of the cumulative score for the
>message.
>
>There's a FAQ entry on how to set up a script to automatically run sa-learn
>- sounds like you already found that.  If you have trouble getting it to
>work, ask for help again.

So it is just based on the content of the message. So, if something doesn't
look right in the message, give it to sa-learn and it will learn from that
e-mail.

>Besides the bayesian filtering, you can also whitelist and blacklist
senders
>but I would hesitate to recommend automating that process - I can imagine
>users blindly forwarding spam from the sobig virus to an address that would
>automatically blacklist the sender, which would be a bad thing since sobig
>is likely to come "from" someone who regularly emails you.

The issue that I am having is that I have a bunch of users 500+ that
forward spam or non-spam to e-mail accounts that needed to be manualy
processed. (Management choice unfortunately)

So, what if the user forwards a mail to an account to get that sender
whitelisted?