Mail Not Routing, stuck in /var/spool/mqueue.in

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Wed Sep 3 20:26:18 IST 2003

Whenever you say "queue" on this list, you should stop and remember to write
either "incoming queue" or "outbound queue" instead.  Do you mean you have
2000 messages in the incoming queue?  If so, then yes MailScanner still has
to work on them, but if you mean that you have 2000 in the outgoing queue,
then MailScanner is already completely out of the  picture for those
messages.

Mail in the outbound queue is entirely handled by your MTA.  If you are
seeing backlogs there, then you need to figure out whether it's normal or a
real problem.  If you have mail sitting in the outbound queue destined for
domains you do not control, then that may very well be normal -- mail gets
defered when servers are down, DNS has problems, etc.  If the mail stuck in
the queue is destined for a domain you control, then you need to figure out
why it's not going out immediately.

If you are using sendmail and you want to process just those messages in the
outbound queue that are destined for your domain, then instead of sendmail
-q, use sendmail -qRyourdomain.com.  That will process only those messages
with "yourdomain.com" in the recipient line of the message.  Note that if
you aren't splitting messages into one-per-recipient then this may still
include messages bound for other domains (ie you have a message with two
recipients, one local, one remote) and may therefore take a while.

You can see what a sendmail process is doing at any given time - just look
at it's process listing in the long output format of ps.  The only tedious
part is identifying the sendmail process you're interested in.  If you're
using -qR you can look for that...

ps auxww | grep 'sendmail -qR'