SV: blocking an email based on it's IP

Anders Andersson, IT anders.andersson at LTKALMAR.SE
Tue Sep 2 11:16:30 IST 2003

Unless they are using a NAT firewall then you might block their smtp-server
as well..... but not likely any got that kind of config.... just a thought

Does anybody actively build lists of IP's sending out SoBig? We are
currently analysing our logs hourly and then taking the top 10 offenders and
putting them in an Exim blocking list, in the hope that it will take
**some** load off our servers.

My thought's are along the same lines of  Antony's. i.e Sobig uses it's own
SMTP engine so we shouldn't be seeing these IP's anyhow.

Dan

Antony.

--

In science, one tries to tell people

in such a way as to be understood by everyone

something that no-one ever knew before.

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac

--

____________________________________

Daniel Bird

Network & Systems Manager

St. George's Hospital  Medical School

Tooting

London SW17 0RE

P: +44 20 8725 2897

F: +44 20 8725 3583

E: dan at sghms.ac.uk <mailto:dan at sghms.ac.uk>

Hex dump: Where witches put used curses...

"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb)) - Shakespeare."