High Scoring Spam Actions

Mark Spieth mspieth at NEOD.NET
Fri Oct 31 15:19:17 GMT 2003

Before I go through the trouble of setting up a test server I figured I
would send this out to the list..

When dealing with high spam, More importantly email coming in from mail
servers which are tagged as high spam due to being on a RBL list.
Currently I have our high spam action set to:

High Scoring Spam Actions = bounce delete

I really need to send a bounce message back even though I realize that
99.9% of all messages are from spoofed or fake email addresses. The
problem is when one of our customers receives an email from one of their
customers which may be accidentally on a blacklist I can at least bounce
the message back to them so it just doesn't go into a black hole and
they don't realize it was never delivered. The above action works fine,
But here is my problem.

Should a message come in as From:user at domain1.com To:user at domain1.com
and is tagged as high spam, user at domain1.com would receive the bounce
message. Even though they did not really send the first message because
the spammer spoofed the from email address. There is only 1 domain that
has complained about this. I want to run a ruleset for high spam actions
which will basically do a

#Domain1.com rules set
FROMANDTO domain1.com delete
#everyone else
bounce delete

How would I formulate the rules set?

Mark Spieth - Director of Internet Services
Northeast Ohio Digital Inc.
http://www.neod.net
mspieth at neod.net
330-830-6551

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials attached hereto are confidential
and the property of the sender. The information contained in the
attached materials is privileged and/or confidential and is intended
only for the use of the above-named individual(s) or entity(ies). If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized
disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of the attached information is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
discard the information immediately.