MailScanner memory spikes

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Wed Oct 29 21:42:43 GMT 2003

Yeah, it means that you have a typical number of files on the system.  Like
I said, just a red herring.  Sorry. :-)

Every night on a redhat system a job runs that updates a database of
filenames.  I was hoping maybe that could account for one of the spikes
every 12 hours.

As far as figuring out what's eating the memory...  Good question - I'm
discouraged that no one else answered you though because I'm not so sure on
my own. :-)

See the manual page for ps.  Then consider these three command-lines:

UNIX95= ps -e --sort=sz -o pid,ppid,pmem,sz,rss,trs,cmd
UNIX95= ps -e --sort=rss -o pid,ppid,pmem,sz,rss,trs,cmd
UNIX95= ps -e --sort=trs -o pid,ppid,pmem,sz,rss,trs,cmd

The only difference between them is the sort key.  I'm not all that clear
though on what each size field means.  And the sorting doesn't seem to work,
so I'm probably misunderstanding the sort key functionality.

HTH,
Trever