Can't get mailscanner into the 'circuit'

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Tue Oct 28 22:51:32 GMT 2003

Only got a sec, I'll offer a quick suggestion: See if you can trace the flow
of email.

It SHOULD be the following:

1. Mail accepted by sendmail listening on port 25 gets dropped into
/var/spool/mqueue.in as a pair of qf/df files.
2. MailScanner takes the message files from mqueue.in, works on them, then
drops them into /var/spool/mqueue.
3. A sendmail queue runner picks up the message files from mqueue and
delivers them.

Make sure the mail is actually landing in mqueue.in.  An easy way to do that
is to run:
/etc/init.d/MailScanner stop
        (Make sure all sendmail and MailScanner processes stop, then...)
/etc/init.d/MailScanner startin

That will stop everything, then start up just the sendmail listener.  If you
send messages, they should show up in mqueue.in.  If they do NOT show up in
mqueue.in, then you have sendmail misconfigured.  Check to make sure you
don't still have the original sendmail init script linked into your startup
process.  Also check to make sure the /etc/init.d/MailScanner file is
correctly starting both the sendmail listener (set to queue into mqueue.in)
and the sendmail queue runner (set to pull from mqueue).

Did you also check the system logs for errors?

Hope it helps,
Trever