performance issues tonite

David Vosburgh vosburgh at DALSEMI.COM
Tue Oct 28 13:22:11 GMT 2003

Well, the situation got a whole lot worse that night and the next
morning (several thousand messages backed up) before I finally figured
out what was going on.  Maybe others could find this useful.  It turns
out that an ex-employee, prior to leaving, had set up his corporate mail
to forward to an account he maintained at hotmail.  Apparently, the
hotmail account reached its' quota, which caused a message to be bounced
back saying that it could not be delivered.  This message kept going in
a circle, getting progressively larger with each loop.  Others piled on
as he received more email to his corporate email address.  By the time I
stopped fiddling with the MailScanner config, and started looking at the
actual messages in the queue. I noticed well over  hundred that were
roughly the same size (~80kb).  Looking at the contents clued me in to
what was happening.  The users alias was subsequently pointed to
/dev/null and his messages cleared out in short order.  The processing
was still extremely slow until I restarted MS.

I'm thinking that with our relatively default install, MS was biting off
thirty message chunks of these large(r) files and wasn't able to process
them quickly enough, causing the SA time-outs we were seeing.  I have
since increased the SA time-out to 40 seconds (from 20),  and decreased
the Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan to 10 (from 30).

Any MS experts have any useful suggestions/comments on any other changes
that could help prevent this in the future (besides critiquing our
egress policies AND so long as it doesn't involve $'s)?  Also, is there
any way that MS could be modified to catch a situation like this before
it degenerates too far?  Could MCP be used for this purpose? Thanks.

Dave

--

Dave Vosburgh
Sr. Unix System Administrator