gfi.com email vulnerability tests

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Fri Oct 24 19:53:19 IST 2003

Hi,

I'm also on 4.23-11... I just run the tests to see what is actually
passing thru...

The ones that came thru were:
2 with subject "hide.hta           (lots of space here)          ",
claiming to have MIME type: gfi/security; and was actually one section
all base64 encoded.

The actual content was a vbscript starting like this:
===================================
<script language="VBScript">
On Error Resume Next
Function ShowFiles(folderspec)
   Dim fso, f, f1, fc, s
   Set f = fso.GetFolder(folderspec)
   Set fc = f.Files
   For Each f1 in fc
      s = s & "  " & f1.name
      s = s & chr(13) + chr(10)
   Next
   ShowFiles = s
End Function
===================================

Apparently one is geared towards Outlook 2000 and the other one, for
Outlook Express 6.

I don't know why, but OE decided to name the unnamed file with the
subject followed by ".dat", so its "hide.hta    (lots of space)  .dat"

The ohter one seems to have been named "hide.hta    (lots of space)  ..."

The other message that passed thru is a multipart/mixed, its first part
is a multipart/alternative with ascii and html text explaining what it
is.

Following that, its the unsecured part that stars like this:
===================================

<SCRIPT language=3DVBScript>
On Error Resume Next
Function ShowFiles(folderspec)
   Dim fso, f, f1, fc, s
   Set fso =3D CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
   Set f =3D fso.GetFolder(folderspec)
   Set fc =3D f.Files
   For Each f1 in fc
      s =3D s & "  " & f1.name=20
      s =3D s & chr(13) + chr(10)=20
   Next
   ShowFiles =3D s
End Function

OE gladly run all the scripts but the one that ended in .dat

Now the question is... how do we detect this nonsense... should we try to
parse as scripting whatever comes with strange mime types or without a
filename?... I dunno.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby