MailScanner memory spikes

No Name elhannaford at PSFINC.COM
Thu Oct 23 23:38:07 IST 2003

>Whats eating the memory?
-To be honest, I'm not sure.  I haven't found a good way to find memory
usage by process.  I suspect that an option of ps (ps -fel maybe?) might do
it.  Can you tell me how to check the memory usage by process?

>What are the CPU states when the load is high (mostly system or mostly
user).
-I'll check today or tomorrow.

>Is the CPU maxed out or is the load caused by waiting on I/O?
The CPU appears to be maxed out.  Mailscanner-mrtg, using sar, shows 100%
CPU utilization during these spikes.

>Are you running the MailScanner work directory in tmpfs?
-No.

>What about the number of messages recieved during that time (Look at the
mail relayed graph) is the size of the mail in proportion to its volume at
that time (or is there a marked disproportionate spike in the Mbytes of
Mail transferred graph)?
-There doesn't appear to be any correlation between the spikes, email
relayed, spam identified, virii caught, or MBytes of mail transferred, I'm
afraid.

>Any cron jobs that happen at those times?
-No.  At least, not for the P.M. spike.  The A.M. spike follows a general
increase in memory usage which occurs at 4:00 A.M., which is when cron's
daily jobs run.  The memory usage surges at 4:00 A.M., stays steady at the
increased level, spikes for about 15 minutes around 6:00 A.M. and then
falls down to pre-cron levels.  The P.M. spike, however, happens all by
itself.