Efficiency of Customization

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 16:17:41 IST 2003

At 15:31 22/10/2003, you wrote:
>I am curious to get opinions on this.  Would it be more efficient to set
>MailScanner up to use rule sets to process options based on the incoming
>domain OR would it be more efficient to use custom functions to pull the
>same data from a MySql database?

If you are going to suck the data from a DB once when MS starts up, and
suck into a few Perl hashes, then that will be faster (hash lookup is very
fast in Perl).
If you are going to suck the data in for each message, then rulesets are
much faster.

Take a look in CustomConfig.pm in the latest version, there is some code in
there which (by assuming that all the address patterns in the rules are
complete email addresses or just domains) handles some big rulesets very
efficiently.
--
Julian Field

PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654