move config files from one server to another

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Wed Oct 22 15:34:21 IST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:20:18 -0400, you wrote:

>> Now transfer ms-backup.tar to your new server and place it in /etc
>>
>>  On your new server:
>> *********************
>> cd /etc
>> tar -xvf ms-backup.tar
>>
>Yes, it helps me so much!  I'll keep this message carefully.
>Thanks a lot!

This works.

But for updating/moving configuration files and the like I use cpio and
ssh:
|        @find . -newer updated -type f |\
|                grep rules$ |\
|                cpio -oH crc -C 1024 |\
|                ssh mail at netlx014 "cd /etc/MailScanner/rules;\
|                cpio -ivdm -C 1024"

This example is from my rules directory and is used to distribute the
rules over to the redundant server. I use similar scripts for aliases,
access etc.

Even when copying the complete configuration tree (I am also configuring
a new system) I use scp (-pr). I have the difficulty that the original
main server is a Redhat and the new main server is Suse. The two
backup/redundant servers are also Suse. So I have to get the
configuration (and Makefile etc) from the redhat system and the
distribution dependant information from one of the other servers.
Sometimes I mix things. :-(

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)