Integrating MailScanner, SpamAssasin and Exchange

Walter D. Wyndroski wdwrn at FRIENDLYCITY.NET
Wed Oct 22 07:26:37 IST 2003

Why not use a challenge-response system in conjuction with MailScanner and
SpamAssassin on the Linux/Unix box? That's what I am doing for my
organization. Visit www.tmda.net for more details on that package.

The way I am doing it (or will be, my development machine broke just as I
had only one block of code to write). I am writing my own custom front-end,
however tmda comes with a really great front-end. It's more functional than
mine, but I REALLY needed simplicity for my users. The cgi which comes with
tmda is very powerful.

Anway, I have my Linux box set as secondary MX and my Exchange server as
primary MX. Both are behind the firewall. I have primary MX inaccessible to
Internet, that way all mail falls to the secondary MX. Mail comes into
MailScanner (gets all its normal filtering done) then goes to procmail which
actually forces all the mail to be sent to the tmda handler. In each user's
tmda config, I have final delivery option set to forward to the
user at exchange . The primary MX is accessible to the Linux box since both are
behind the firewall. My mx records are mail1.domain.com and mail2.domain.com
(mail1 is acutally and alias to pony.domain.com (the Exchange server) - hey
it was called that before I got there ;) ). So then I can get subdomain
specific in the tmda config and set the delivery for each user to be a
forward to user at pony.domain.com. Now users can simply hit a web cgi to
manage their pending emails and release them if they wish. With this method,
virtually 100% of spam is blocked without having to worry about the scoring
systems because each user will maintain his/her own whitelists and
blacklists. Not to mention when tmda sends a confirmation to the sender, the
sender can simply click a link in that email to release his/her email and
become auto-whitelisted henceforth.

Of course, this system does place some burden on the users, but only
intially. I'm acutally writing some perl cgi's to make management easier
since my users will not have a choice in this matter as it is a mandate from
 the top that everyone have it.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Walt Wyndroski