upgrade to perl 5.8.1, no go

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Oct 21 16:29:40 IST 2003

Julian,

  I upgraded from perl 5.8.0 to 5.8.1, and reinstalled the modules
MS perl modules required.  With 5.8.1, MailScanner won't start, giving
the following error in debug mode:

In Debugging mode, not forking...
unix dgram connect: Socket operation on non-socket at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 132
no connection to syslog available at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm line 132
255

The list archives didn't shed light on this.  Perl 581 passed all of its
tests, including the syslog test -- it scribbled into syslog.
My setup: Sun V1280, Solaris 9, perl built with Solaris
Forte 7 cc compiler.  Other perl apps are happy on this box.

By changing my /usr/bin/perl syslink to point back to perl5.8.0, everything
runs again.

Any ideas?

--- Jeff Earickson
    Colby College