--Urgent Help Please--

Tue Oct 14 16:01:57 IST 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 3:44 pm, Matthew K Bowman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My setup
>
> Dell Poweredge Dual P3 1Ghz with 1GB Ram.
> Redhat 7.3
> sendmail 8.11.6-25.72
> Mail Scanner 4.22-4
> SpamAssassin 2.55
> ClamAv 0.60
> F-Prot 4.3.0-1

Are either of the last two items in the process of updating their signatures,
thus causing the scanning to be interrupted?

> Email is getting scanned by MailScanner for spam but sits in the queue. My
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming has:
>
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:25 5619
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:25 5633
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:25 5647
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:25 5660
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5667
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5680
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5695
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5716
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5729
> drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Oct 14 10:26 5747
>
> From maillog
>
> Oct 14 10:26:51 smithers MailScanner[5747]: New Batch: Found 1833 messages
> waiting
> Oct 14 10:26:51 smithers MailScanner[5747]: New Batch: Scanning 100
> messages, 3240046 bytes

Yes, but what comes next in the logfile?

> Sendmail is running and accepting connections but its not delivering e-mai.
> No errors, maillog not even reporting message accepted for delivery.. My
> other mailscanner box is running fine.

Sounds like MailScanner is not processing the messages and passing them on to
the second MTA queue for delivery.   My guess is a virus scanner lockfile.

Antony.

--

What I don't know far exceeds what I know, but unfortunately, it is far
easier to write about what I know than about what I don't know.

 - Kevin Kelly, Out of Control