spamassassin doing rbl's

Jared redjar at REDJAR.ORG
Mon Oct 13 20:12:03 IST 2003

Hello,

I've tried to find an answer in the archives and on the web, but had no
luck.

I'm running Mailscanner which then calls SpamAssassin in a email
gateway environment.  The problem is that I can't seem to get
Spamassassin to use blacklists.  And it's not clear to me which of the
numerous values in the confs preventing this, or if it's a completely
separate issue all together.

My set up is as follows:

Debian Stable (Woody)
Exim 3.35
Mailscanner 4.22 (packaged for debian by inutility.net)
Spamassassin 2.55 (packaged for debian by inutility.net)

-------------------------------
Various configuration setting

In mailscanner.conf I have:

Spam Checks = yes
Spam List =
Spam Domain List =
Use SpamAssassin = yes

In mailscanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf I have:

skip_rbl_checks  0
score RCVD_IN_SBL   2

The SpamAssassin conf 50_scores.cf has:

score RCVD_IN_SBL 1.0 1.013 1.0 1.101

My /etc/spamassassin/local.cf contains:

score RCVD_IN_SBL  2

The spamassassin config 20_head_tests.cf has:

# SBL is the Spamhaus Block List: http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/ .
header RCVD_IN_SBL              rbleval:check_rbl('relay',
'sbl.spamhaus.org.')
describe RCVD_IN_SBL            Received via SBLed relay, see
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/
tflags RCVD_IN_SBL              net

-------------------------------

With all that, I assumed I have my bases covered, I've made sure all
the various RCVD_IN_SBL scores are non-zero.

It's been running for a few days and no messages were matching the
rule, so I fired up tcpdump and there are no dns requests for the
spamhaus blacklist.

Just to make sure it worked, I set "Spam List = spamhaus.org" in
mailscanner.conf and then Mailscanner did do the blacklist check and
that worked, but I want the score to be added to the Spamasssassin
check.

What am I missing?

thanks for any help,
-jared