Performance question

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Wed Oct 8 20:52:34 IST 2003

>Did you check /etc/syslog.conf to make sure that you have a dash before
>every file name?
>#mail.*                         /var/log/maillog
>mail.*                          -/var/log/maillog

Should the dash, as you say, be in front of 'every' file name, or only on the 'mail.*' ones?

My syslog.conf does indeed have the dash on the 'mail.*' line,
but there are other entries without the dash unrelated to MS.

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                                 *
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log