Performance question

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Wed Oct 8 20:29:24 IST 2003

Le mer 08/10/2003 à 15:19, Alan Fiebig a écrit :
> >What you are referring to is not the what is called the load of the
> >machine.
> >
> >The load is the output of the uptime command:
> ># uptime
> >  3:05pm  up 97 days,  7:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.76, 1.03, 0.98
> >
> >Top also displays these values.
> >
> >The % numbers are labelled:
> >CPU states: 21.0% user,  3.1% system,  0.0% nice, 75.7% idle
> >
> >in my top output.  A healthy system uses very little system time.
>
> Ah, Linux semantics vs. M$ semantics. Thanks for that, it really helps.
>
> My TOP shows system time 55%-65% range most of the time.
>
> -Alan

That's way too much!!!

Did you check /etc/syslog.conf to make sure that you have a dash before
every file name?
#mail.*                         /var/log/maillog
mail.*                          -/var/log/maillog

I've changed ours (and restarted syslog) and it made a BIG difference on
my machines responsiveness (and on system time also).

Denis
--
Denis Beauchemin, analyste
Université de Sherbrooke, S.T.I.