Performance question

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Wed Oct 8 20:08:35 IST 2003

Alan,

What you are referring to is not the what is called the load of the
machine.

The load is the output of the uptime command:
# uptime
  3:05pm  up 97 days,  7:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.76, 1.03, 0.98

Top also displays these values.

The % numbers are labelled:
CPU states: 21.0% user,  3.1% system,  0.0% nice, 75.7% idle

in my top output.  A healthy system uses very little system time.

Denis

--
Denis Beauchemin, analyste
Université de Sherbrooke, S.T.I.