Performance question

Andy Humberston iah at DMU.AC.UK
Wed Oct 8 18:45:43 IST 2003

> >Isolate where the slowdown is - ie disable SA and see what happens..
> >Reduce the number of messages scanned in MailScanner.conf.
> Check your
> >logs too..
>
> I ran some tests, here are the results:
>
> 1,300/10 min    virus:on        spam:on
> 1,500/10 min    virus:off       spam:on
> 6,300/10 min    virus:on        spam:off
>
> I examined the log, during these tests, there were no
> timeouts for SA or the virus engine. Everything is
> completeing, just slowly, despite there being plenty of
> system resources.

We seem to be experiencing exactly the same problem, searching
the web for performance related info for SA seems to advise the
best way to run it is through MailScanner.  I have just ran some
Tests on a dual pentium 1.4Ghz box with 1Gig RAM and achieved the
following:

2400/6 min      virus:off       spam:off
2400/7 min      virus:on        spam:off (sophos)
2400/20 min     virus:on        spam:on (razor off)
2400/24 min virus:on    spam:on (razor on)

This is on a machine with two U/SCSI 15,000rpm disks mirrored
(Hardware RAID).

It's a machine I've borrowed :)

Andy Humberston