ANNOUNCE: beta 4.24-4 released

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 18:53:22 IST 2003

I have just put up 4.24-4 on www.mailscanner.info.

This includes a few corrections and improvements (such as support for
Kaspersky 4.5). The full ChangeLog is linked from the News section of the
home page.

Note that I have started to add PGP signatures to the downloads page. There
is also a URL to find my public key. I have intentionally designed the page
to make it very difficult to compromise. If I publish the public key
directly on the page, anyone who compromised the site could create a key
that matched their signature and use that to sign their compromised packages.

With attacks against MailScanner such as that done by the Sobig-F worm, it
is only a matter of time before someone tries to compromise the
distribution. So it really is important that you check the PGP signature of
the package you download. There are loads of documents on the net already
that tell you how to do this, so I'm not going to give any instructions;
I'm sure you will work it out.
--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654