SpamAssassin Config files {Scanned by HJMS}

Jim Dickenson dickenson at CFMC.COM
Wed Oct 1 20:06:53 IST 2003

See below
--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com

Computers for Marketing Corporation
http://www.cfmc.com/

> From: "Furnish, Trever G" <TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM>
> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:34:18 -0500
> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: SpamAssassin Config files {Scanned by HJMS}
>
>> There are still many options in the MS.conf file and I do not
>> know if they
>> override the spam.assassin.prefs.conf file or if the sa config file
>> overrides the items in the MS.conf file.
>
> What are you refering to by "MS.conf" file?  If you mean MailScanner.conf,
> those values apply to MailScanner, not to SA.  And I'm not sure how they
> would "override" the settings in spam.assassin.prefs.conf since there are no
> attribute names in common.  If you want to customize the behavior of SA as
> it is used by MS, then the settings you would normally put into a
> SA-specific file should be put into spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

In the MailScanner.conf file there are options like:

Required SpamAssassin Score = 5
SpamAssassin Auto Whitelist = no
SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

I am guessing that options like this override, modify or otherwise change
how SA would work if not run via MailScanner.

>> Also does anyone know about the user specific preferences?
>
> You mean like a per-user bayes database?  I think you would have to jump
> through lots of hoops to make that happen but others have asked the same
> question so perhaps someone else will describe what they're doing...

Running SA via spamd and procmail this was straight-forward. The MailScanner
option "SpamAssassin User State Dir" seems to imply this has something to do
with user specific configurations.

I have a couple co-workers that have there own white lists, as an example.
This is the primary option I was looking for a way to set on a per user
basis.

Thanks for all your answers!