Forwarding mail

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Wed Oct 1 17:44:49 IST 2003

That's really a sendmail question, but here's how we do it:

The MX for the domain(s) point to MS/SA machine.
The MS/SA machine has entries in local-host-names for all domains we
accept mail for. Sendmail on MS/SA relays mail to hub using
virtusertable entries that point at the hub.

---
in sendmail.mc
"FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl"
---

virtusertable looks like this:

@domain.com %1 at mailhub.domain.com
user at someotherdomain.com user at mailhub.domain.com
etc....

The first one catches the default domain and forwards mail to the mail
hub. The other entries catch virtualuser at otherdomains and forward those
to local user mailboxes on the mailhub.

Also, the mailhub only accepts SMTP connections from the MS/SA machine,
otherwise spammers figure out how to get around your filter. :-(

Ken A.
Pacific.Net