MS + Trend InterScan Virus Wall

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Sat Nov 29 01:06:46 GMT 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Jason wrote:

> Julian,
>
> I've installed MailScanner 4.24-5 on Redhat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0 with
> Trend InterScan Virus Wall 3.8 for Linux and everything is working. I had to
> install the C++ compatibility libraries to make trend work (provided with
> installation media)
>
> We receive approx 10000 emails per day (40% of which are spam)
>
> Trend is successfuly detecting viruses and quarantining them to the proper
> directory. I use our Trend ISVW site license to make use of the interscan
> web console in ISVW which auto-updates virus patterns from Trend on a
> daily/hourly/specified basis (but this ONLY works with a valid s/n in
> /etc/iscan/intscan.ini)
>
> My question is when will the code status for Trend in MS change from Alpha
> to Supported? I had to change the code status in SweepViruses.pm to make
> Trend work at all with MS. Secondly, how do I disable MS's autoupdate when
> using trend as it is not needed.
>
> Might I add as a side note for everyone that Redhat has removed the
> MySQL-server completely from the product (as well as PostGreSQL-server). Now
> included are only the SQL clients, how useless is that?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Jason Sauve

I have been running Trend for months now.  It is free for non commerical
servers.  It works perfectly with MailScanner.  I wrote my own perl script
to poll their site hourly and download a new version if required.

I also see no reason why MailScanner should consider its support as Alpha.
It's been working perfectly!

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer