Paypal virus emails

Thu Nov 27 19:58:40 GMT 2003

Hi.

I'm sure most people here have seen the recent Paypal emails containing
Mimail-I.

However, I'm curious about where this virus is picking up its destination
email addresses from, because most of the ones I'm seeing are addressed to my
MailScanner address, which only ever appears in the headers of emails which
have been scanned by my MailScanner machine, as a contact address if people
want to ask about the reason for rejects, tests being done, etc.

I have never publicised that address (and I don't want to write it in this
email so that it doesn't go into the archives either), but it surprises me
that Mimail-I is obviously picking up on an address which is in the headers
of emails, but is neither the From: nor the To: address (or the envelope).

Is anyone else seeing the same thing, and wondering why they're getting
viruses to addresses which are only in non-standard headers of other emails?

Antony.

--
What makes you think I know what I'm talking about?
I just have more O'Reilly books than most people.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.