Moving Bayes DB to Another System

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Tue Nov 25 15:15:03 GMT 2003

Hello All,

I know I've seen this question before, but couldn't find anything truly
relevant in the archives. I have the impression that there were mixed
opinions on this...

We're in the process of migrating our filtering servers to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux. We're building new boxes around the payed distribution
and will run identical services on the new machines (including the
latest versions of MailScanner and SpamAssassin).

Are there any gotchas with moving the bayes db from one machine to
another?

I plan to:

* build and make SpamAssassin 2.60 on the new system (with all the
appropriate prerequisistes)
* Move the bayes db to the same place on the new system
(/var/spool/spamassassin/bayes).This includes the files bayes_journal,
bayes_msgcount, bayes_seen, and bayes_toks.
* Use the same option in spam.assassin.prefs.conf to set the location of
the bayes db
* Set the appropriate permissions on the directory referenced above
* Start the services and get back on the bus.

Is it as simple as it seems? Are there any potential issues?

Nathan