compress/tar archive mail dirs

Fri Nov 21 17:12:39 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:
> Take a look at the clean.quarantine cron job that comes with the Linux
> versions of MailScanner. That deletes quarantines/archives that are over a
> certain age, but it would be pretty easy to make it tar and compress them
> instead of delete them. Then just reduce the "1 month" to "2 days".
>
> At 14:22 21/11/2003, you wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> anyone got a handy script that will find previous days archive email
>> dirs and compress/tar them up and delete the directory afterwards?
>>
>> Could write something myself, but not wanting to re-invent the wheel...
>>
>> alternatively could this be an option in the Archive Mail config so when
>> it rolls over to the next dir, it tgz-ed (or whatever) yesterdays
>> archive directory??
>>
>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Snr Systems Administrator
>> Solid State Logic
>> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I've hacked the clean.quaranteen
code about to include various facilities from the the other scripts.
I'll do some testing early next week and hopefully post up the code that
works for me, in case anyone needs it from the archives later..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.