mail scanner help

Dustin Baer dustin.baer at IHS.COM
Wed Nov 19 14:03:12 GMT 2003

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml

> and also, do i need to start sendmail and mailscanner together
> or only mailscanner to send and receive mails.

Sendmail is what brings in and sends out your email.  MailScanner takes
the email from where Sendmail brought it in, scans it and puts it where
Sendmail sends it on.  Without starting Sendmail, mail would not go
anywhere.  Without starting MailScanner, email would come in, but never
go anywhere.

> I have attach the sendmail startup scipt and can anyone help
> me to configure it. really apprecite your help.

I have changed only the lines that you need to change:

>                  MODE="-bd"

MODE="-bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in"

>                  /usr/lib/sendmail $MODE -q$QUEUEINTERVAL $OPTIONS &

/usr/lib/sendmail $MODE &
/usr/lib/sendmail -q$QUEUEINTERVAL $OPTIONS &

(Although the above website doesn't mention it, I have ADDED the
following line to also start MailScanner)

/opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner > /dev/null

>          /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 sendmail

(Although the above website doesn't mention it, I have ADDED the
following line to also stop MailScanner)

/usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 MailScanner

I suggest making a copy of your original /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail file,
before modifying it.  If you make a copy of it in the same directory
(/etc/rc2.d), make sure you put something in front of the S88, like a -
or _.  If not, it will also try to start up, when you boot and you will
get annoying errors.

Dustin
--
Dustin Baer