Error Starting MS in Debug mode

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Nov 16 17:14:57 GMT 2003

"seem to find a patch in there anywhere" means that something is badly
wrong with the patch file. If it meant that the patch was already
installed, it would have told you. Download it again and try very hard to
apply it, it is important. You will leave nasty security holes open on your
system if you do not successfully apply every bit of every patch. They are
all there for a reason :-)

The unix dgram problem you are seeing implies to me you are running on a
new Solaris system, possibly with Perl 5.8.1 or 5.8.2. Look in
/opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Log.pm and change 'unix' to 'stream'
(somewhere around line 67 if I remember rightly). I have fixed this problem
in the latest beta release, you shouldn't see it any more if using the
latest code. If changing 'unix' to 'stream' doesn't solve the problem, just
comment out the whole of that line, it's not vital on Solaris anyway.