Stopping MailScanner

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Thu Nov 13 09:26:25 GMT 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:09:52 -0800, you wrote:

>When I do a mailscanner restart, mailscanner fails to restart mailscanner.
>I have found that restart does not work.  The only way to make it work is to
>shutdown mailscanner, shutdown sendmail, and then start mailscanner.  From
>what I am gathering from everyones response, this is not the way it should
>be.  I am currently running MailScanner 4.22-4 and Sendmail 8.11.6-27.72.

I had the same problem. It was solved by adding some extra sleep time
between the stop and start (in restart). On one of my system (the
lighter one) MailScanner didn't have time to clean up between the stop
and start. But when I saw the error and checked with ps MailScanner had
cleaned up in the meantime. Perhaps the same timing problem happens on
your system.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)