A performance upgrade

Lindsay Snider lindsay at pa.net
Tue Nov 11 20:41:30 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 14:35, Kevin Spicer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 19:24, Steve Douglas wrote:
> >The system was installed originally with 512mb of RAM.  Is there any
> >quick-and-slick changes anyone can suggest to tweak this system further
> >optimize MS?  I see similar messages in the forum quite often, but
> >there is
> >nothing I am specifically looking to fix due to the reliability of the
> >unit.
>
> If it ain't broke......
>
> The single best performance tweak is to put the MailScanner work
> directory into tmpfs.  See todays thread 'tmpfs' for details.

I noticed spamassassin also writes each email it scans to a file in /tmp.  Has
anyone had any luck changing where spamassassin writes it's temp files to?
It'd be nice to put them on tmpfs as well (w/o putting all of /tmp on tmpfs).

Looking through SA's source, it looks like you have to set an environmental
variable.  I tried setting the variable in /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner but in both cases, environmental variables get
wiped in the spawned version of MailScanner.