a very confused mailscanner?

Tue Nov 11 17:41:17 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:

> At 14:54 11/11/2003, you wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Spicer, Kevin wrote:
>>
>> -}Randy Schultz wrote:
>> -}> -}> At first I thought it was insufficient file descriptors
>> -}> -}> available so I up'ed
>> -}> -}> that limit and rebooted.  No effect.  The in queue has only
>> -}> -}> 1400 emails to
>> -}> -}> be processed, system is idle, tons of all resources available.
>> -}> -}>
>> -}> -}> Anybody have any idea what's up?
>> -}
>> -}You don't say which OS.
>>
>> Aack.  Silly me.  FreeBSD 5.1, sendmail 8.12.9(patched), mailscanner
>> 4.24.5.
>> Dual 800 Mhz procs, 1GB RAM, 20 GB hard drive 37% full.
>

> I would not recommend running a busy server on any OS that doesn't at least
> have tmpfs.
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info
> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654

well.....ufs with softupdates is pretty wizzy, but I'd be more concerned
about using freeBSD 5.1 in a production environment. It's not the stable
release yet and won't be till at least 5.3 so there *could be* various
nasties hiding in there. Having said that the VM etc is very very fast
(compares with Gnu/Linux 2.6 kernel speeds) and is quicker from a user
point of view.

Anyway I guess you've looking at the log files and running in debug mode?

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.