feature request: ability to run single message from command line

Matthias Klose doko at CS.TU-BERLIN.DE
Sun Nov 9 23:44:01 GMT 2003

[ forwarded from http://bugs.debian.org/177027 ]

It would be useful to include an option to the mailscanner program
that would read a single message from STDIN, process it, and return
the results to STDOUT.  Occasionally, mailscanner is marking a message
as spam (says it found it in razor2) but when I run the message
through "razor-check" or "spamassassin -t", then it lists no such
match.

Since I can't be sure that the body I tried to check was the same one
that mailscanner first looked at, I can't really proceed in tracking
down the source of the problem.

In http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi/RazorMail.txt?bug=177027&msg=6&att=1
there's an example of a message that was tagged as spam because it
matched the RAZOR2_CHECK but when I take the same message and run it
through "razor-check -d", it says "not spam".

I wondered if the added "X-Spam-Status" header was the source of the
problem, but when I removed it or otherwise changed the header lines,
I noticed that the generated signature code was always the same.
Since, to the best of my knowledge, mailscanner does not make any
alterations to the body of the message, it seems that there is an
inconsistancy in how mailscanner performs the razor check and how
razor-check does the same thing.