Virus and Content Scanning... process hanging?

Charlie Silverman ackitsme at ACKATTACK.COM
Sun Nov 9 05:59:06 GMT 2003

I just recently configured MailScanner, along with postfix for my MTAs
and f-prot for my virus scanning software.

Everything was running just fine, but as I am looking through the logs,
I am seeing some of the messages coming in like this:

Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: New Batch: Scanning 1
messages, 4924 bytes
Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: Spam Checks: Starting
Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: Message 0EC005C011 from
66.134.106.162 (fabianocz3325 at wtrp.po.my) to netsofts.com is spam
(blacklisted)
Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: Spam Checks: Found 1 spam
messages
Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: Spam Actions: message
0EC005C011 actions are delete
Nov  8 21:50:59 gateway MailScanner[14082]: Virus and Content Scanning:
Starting

There is no corresponding completion message for the Virus and Content
Scanning process.

Now, in this example, it was set to delete on high scoring spam, so
that may be the reason, however, this was also happening before I had
the delete option set.

I am running the exact same setup in two different locations now and
having the same issues.

My question is... is this correct behaviour and am I just being overly
paranoid?  I obviously don't want to be throwing away good e-mails.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly
appreciated.