Sophos stuff

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Nov 6 11:02:06 GMT 2003

Hi all,

3 Sophos items to mention here.

1. Presume all Sophos users noticed in their Support news:

Sophos Anti-Virus customers using all Mac, Linux and Unix platforms are
advised that in some circumstances they may experience severe
performance problems with version 3.75. This version is on the November
CD and will arrive at customer offices from 1 November.

The performance problems are related to the scanning of certain types of
Adobe Acrobat files (.PDF) when embedded in HTML files. These
performance problems are resolved in Sophos Anti-Virus version 3.75a,
currently available for download from the Downloads and updates section.

     * Sophos recommends that all Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac, Linux and
Unix customers, who use Adobe Acrobat files (.PDF), do not install
version 3.75 from the CD.

Customers using these platforms should download and install version
3.75a from the Sophos web site.

2. The resultant vdl file vdl-3.75a.dat breaks autoupdate - I presume
it's looking for a 375a_ides.zip ? Would this have worked if I had the
new beta of MailScanner? Creating a link in the lib directory called
vdl-375.dat permitted autoupdate to work again.

3. I offered and was accepted for the beta of a new version of
Enterprise Manager which will allegedly be able to automatically update
*ix copies of Sophos. Will let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"