workaround for "file size limit exceeded" messages?

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Nov 5 10:25:43 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:
> Do other people agree that this is the preferred behaviour?
> Detect the virus, but ignore "File size limit exceeded" messages?
>
> Your votes please...

If the problems with running clam as root can be fixed, then clam falls back to the external unzipper when it generates a "File size limit exceeded" message, so the "file size limit exceeded" message doesn't mean the file couldn't be unzipped, it just means the first attempt to unzip the file failed.

To recap, the problem when MailScanner calls clam as root is that it drops privileges when calling external programs.  This means that unzip can't unzip any files because a) it can't read or write Clams temp directory (by default in ~/tmp i.e. here in /root/tmp) and b) It can't read the files in MailScanner's work directory.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.