sendmail message splitting defeats bandwidth savings?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Tue Nov 4 09:55:28 GMT 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:04:07 -0500, you wrote:

>> > 3. MailScanner scans and re-queues all of the (now many) messages.
>> > 4. Sendmail delivers the messages, one copy per recipient,
>> resulting in the
>> > original message being sent MANY TIMES over the wire to the next MX.
>>
>> Even if MS will do this trick i think mailvolume increase is
>> the only way
>> to accomplish this approach.
>
>Yes, but again, the question is *how much* it ought to increase.  The
>current approach has the potential to increase it drastically, with most of
>the increase being completely unrelated to productive mail filtering.

I checked and I got 4.500.000 messages last month. The total number of
recipients was 4.900.000. So splitting it would increase the load with
9%. I wouldn't call that drastically.

Another advantage I see is that the for clause is put into the Received:
headers. So people can see for what address the e-mail was originaly
received. We have a lot of user with a number of addresses and they
complain that sometimes they can filter on the original address and
sometimes they can not.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)