Linux Distrobutions?

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Nov 3 23:20:11 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:54, Paul wrote:

So, which distro offers automatic updating, a la Up2Date?  I don't mind
paying for it, but I'd prefer it to be a one-off charge, unlike RH, who
are offering me this:

Mandrake has urpmi (which IMHO is great, if a little under used)  theres
also the Mandrake Update GUI tool, but I don't run GUIs on servers.
What I like about urpmi is that a) its scriptable b) you can use urpmq
to check for updates before installing them  c) you can mirror the ftp
site locally and use that to update/ install from.

I basically do this every night (wrapped in some scripting)...
fmirror  (on the updates ftp site to copy the files locally on 1
machine)

urpmi.update -a  (On each machine to refresh the package list)

urpmq --update --auto-select (To produce a list of updated packages
which is then mailed to me)

Every morning I review any updates for each server (typically not many
as I run stripped down machines) and either test them on a test machine,
or if they're not updating anything that worries me just do...

urpmi --update -auto-select

to install them.

BTW I had to use RedHat for something recently and wasn't very impressed
with up2date (although maybe I just don't know how to use it well?).

Doubtless others will sing the praises of apt-get on Debian (and
probably with good cause)

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000