sendmail message splitting defeats bandwidth savings?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Mon Nov 3 19:14:58 GMT 2003

Well, I had thought of suggesting re-submitting the message after deciding
simply that it needed to be split, but that would remove the ability to
check based on sender IP, right?

On the other hand, if we just do whatever needs to be "done" to the message
and then submit it for outbound delivery, then all we have to do is deal
with queue formats, right?

So maybe we could just use a different queue for outbound messages that have
been split.  No second pass through MS, just delivery via a modified
mechanism.  For example, how about delivery through a third sendmail, this
one listening on a different port and just accepting submissions and sending
them immediately?

Ie we'd end up with these sendmail parents:
1. Port 25 listener, queueing into mqueue.in
2. Normal delivery queue runner, watching mqueue
3. Split-message listener/runner, listening on port 1024 and performing
immediate delivery, queuing into mqueue.split only if needed.

Then again, if you were going that route, then would there still be a
significant advantage in keeping both this new delivery method and the
"traditional" queue file moving method?  (Probably - it seems much faster.
But maybe this would make the postfix author a bit more agreeable too. ;-) )

I have the painful apprehension that I may be typing more quicly than I'm
thinking. ;-)

-t.