MailScanner-MRTG 0.06 and solaris

Kevin Spicer kevin at KEVINSPICER.CO.UK
Mon Nov 3 18:57:38 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 18:32, Pascal Maes wrote:
>the command "ps -eo comm" is used to count the number of MailScanner
>processes.
>In my configuration (Solaris 8, perl 5.8.0), this command returns
>"/bin/perl".
>So the number of MailScanner process is always 0.

>"ps -ef" was working fine. Why did you change that ?

It's never been "ps -ef".  It was "ps ax" in 0.05 and "ps -eo comm" in
the recent snapshot.  0.05 didn't support Solaris anyway (unless you
hacked it to do so).

Anyway, that aside, the reason for the change was to get around some
problems on Linux with "ps ax"  which returned inconsistent results
across certain distros / kernel versions.  I have access to Solaris
machines, but they don't run MailScanner, so although I can check output
for sendmail etc I can't easily check for MailScanner on Solaris,  It
seems that the comm format on Solaris yeilds subtly different output
than on Linux.  It would be a great help if you could run the following
commands for me and send me the output from your system (then I can make
sure I get it right this time).

ps -eo comm | grep sendmail
ps -eo args | grep sendmail
ps -eo comm | grep MailScanner
ps -eo args | grep MailScanner

As you probably guessed I suspect the fix is to change "ps -eo comm" to
"ps -eo args" at lines 423 and 277 but I'd like to see the output to be
sure.

Thanks

Kevin

--
Kevin Spicer (kevin AT kevinspicer DOT co DOT uk)

This message is digitally signed using the GNU Privacy Guard.
My public key may be obtained from http://www.keyserver.net